Friday, March 20, 2009

Bee tree

This is a tree that had bees in it. We cut the tree in half to expose the bees and the honey comb. We put a white sheet down to work on as it makes it easier to see the bees. You have to watch where you step so you don't step on the bees.





We put the comb from the tree into our empty hive bodies.









We put another hive body with frames in it on top of the other hive body and let the bees go to their new home. Now you hope that you got the queen in the box. Go back in a few days and check to make sure they are doing good.



We will be doing this a couple more times in the next few weeks as we have 2 more trees to get the bees out of plus we have 4 packages of bees coming the first week of April. Right now we have Italian bees and I wanted to try the Buck fast bees.





1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you posted this about the bees and showed pictures! I've been contacted about a neighbor to get bees out of a tree in their subdivision, and I wasn't sure how to go about doing it! Did you do this on a warm or cool day? I guess my question is how did you keep the bees in and not flying off?

    ReplyDelete